Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Sleeping in vs. Nap

We have discovered a new pattern in nathan's sleeping habits. If he wakes up between 6 and 6:30 in the morning then he will take a nice 2-3 hour nap around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. If on the other hand he sleeps in till 7-7:30 then he is not tired in the afternoon and doesn't start getting cranky until around 5pm which is way too late to take a nap. So our dilemna on the weekends is if he's sleeping peacefully and it's getting to that magic 7:00 hour (usually having gotten into our bed around 5:00) should we let him sleep in and take our extra sleeping in the morning or should we wake him up so he takes a nice nap in the afternoon. Basically do Matt and I get to sleep in a little bit later or do we get a break in the afternoon to get things done around the house or to just rest for a bit. I was waffling about which would be better. But this weekend sealed it for me. Saturday he woke up around 6:15 and feel right asleep after two stories in the afternoon by 1PM. We had enough time to clean the garage, do some yard work, do the laundry, take a shower and still take an hour lounge on the couch before we woke him up at 4PM. Sunday he woke up at 7:15. We went out for breakfast followed by going to the nature center to look at some owls and falcons and then for a good hour long walk in the woods. Nathan walked, jogged, or jumped off small rocks most of the way. By the time he got back in the car around 12:45 he looked exhausted (pretty much the way I felt). I was sure I would be able to read him a story or two and he would be out like a light. Well we got home, got into bed, read two stories with him lying quietly beside me and then BAM!!! he was rejuvinated and up and talking and ready to start playing. We read a few more stories but no dice... he was not taking a nap. He started getting really cranky around 4Pm so I laid with him and read a few more stories to give him a little rest and then he was good for the rest of the evening. But no nap and I was totally exhausted the rest of the day. That pretty much decided my vote... take the hour less sleep in the morning and then get a couple hours rest in the afternoon. I perhaps need it more than he does.

No comments: