Thursday, October 27, 2005

Nathan had a good day at daycare!!!!

Nathan has been in the toddler room for about one month. Ever since he went over there he has been teething. And every day when I pick him up they would say, "he was kind of cranky today", or "he didn't sleep well", or "he was upset today". The teachers even started consulting his infant teachers to see if there was something else they could do for him. The toddler teachers couldn't believe this was the same little boy that the infant teachers had fallen in love with. This had also just started to begin worrying me as well. Week one, yeah it's a new room and new teachers. Week two, he's still getting acclimated. Week three, maybe it's a stage he's going through. Week four, maybe I'm a horrible mother for working and he's going to be damaged forever. (maybe a slight exaggeration of how I was feeling). But on Tuesday, something just changed. In the morning, he started out being a leg anchor. I was talking to one of the teachers when I noticed he wasn't hanging on me anymore and when I looked around he was across the room playing with the other boys. GREAT!!! So I left. When I went to pick him up ALL the teachers were just gushing about what a wonderful day he had had. He was giggling and smiling and being goofy all day long. He had always been a bit more comfortable with his primary teacher but on that day he got all three other teachers to fall in love with him as well. As I was walking out the door I saw one of his infant teachers and she was gushing as well about how the toddler teachers told her that they had finally gotten to see the real Nathan.

Well I didn't want to jump the gun. Maybe it was just one day. Maybe they put laughing gas in the air that day. I don't know. But the same thing happened on Wednesday and this morning he just trotted off and started playing when I dropped him off. It's like over one weekend he decided it was ok to go to daycare now. And do you know what's changed.... His teeth broke through the gums on Monday. After a month of him jamming his fists in his mouth and crying at the drop of a hat, they finally broke through. It's like the sun has started shining again after a month of hurricane rain. Maybe it's a just a coincidence that he finally became comfortable in the toddler room at the same time his teeth stopped hurting but who knows. All I know is that it is much easier to drop him off in the morning and I get good reports of his day in the evening. Let the SUN SHINE!

No comments: