Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Time for an Update

Well it's been a while since I've actually written something here so where to begin.

Nathan is teething again which like every other time has turned our sweet little boy into a ball of emotions. He will be playing and then suddenly, mommy looked at him wrong and he will dissolve into tears. He's cranky and he doesn't want to eat and it JUST HURTS MOMMY!!!!! He's constantly chewing on his hands. He's got about 5 cuts on his fingers and even one on his palm from all the chewing. AND it's only the bottom two teeth. I was hoping it would be all four... but no, it's only the two bottom eye teeth. Which means just as he recovers from this round the next ones will start. UGH!!!! It's been almost a full year of teething. It's been an endless cycle of calm, then teeth starting, then teeth breaking through, then a return to calm, then it starts all over again. But i can see the light at the end of the tunnel. He's got these two other eye teeth, then one more set of molars (4 teeth), then he will be done for a couple of years at least. YEAH!!!! We're almost there. And to all you parents out there who've told me "oh he just opened his mouth and there was a tooth"... go jump in a lake. You have no idea the torture of teething and I don't want to hear how easy it was for you.

Matt just got back from Missouri. Yes that's right, missouri. Why would he go to such a place? Well because that's where the annual MFT conference was. The week before he left he was really busy at school and then he was gone from Thursday to Sunday. Nathan also had a random fever of 102.5 last Monday night so I had to stay home with him on tuesday. So I spent the majority of last week with Nathan by myself. Which normally would have been fine. But I had been fighting off a sinus infection for a week before that and last week I lost. it actually didn't turn into a sinus infection but just a cold, complete with aches, pains, sinus pressure, and a sore throat. So just imagine me, tired and miserable, with Nathan, miserable from teething, being stuck IN THE HOUSE the entire weekend because it was raining. We were climbing the walls by Sunday morning so we went out for breakfast and then grocery shopping. I let him ride in one of those monstrous car carts. So of course as I'm trying to stear this thing down the aisle because the wheels are stuck and it wont' turn without me pushing my entire weight into it, he's hanging out the side of the car in the front looking back at me and giggling. A couple of the older women in the store were having a ball watching us go from aisle to aisle. I'm glad I made their day.

Yesterday Matt was home and it was a daddy day at home. Except that Nathan had a doctor's appt. for his chicken pox vaccine. (Yes I know he should have gotten that when he was 9 months old, but through a whole series of things ... sickness, no stock, more sickness, rash, etc, it kept getting pushed off). Plus they were supposed to be having pictures at daycare and since that's not his regular day they said we could bring him in for the picture but we couldn't leave him there for the day. So matt was a trooper and took him in before his Dr.'s appointment for the picture. We should have known it wasn't going to work. He's been having a really hard time being dropped off at daycare ever since he transitioned to the new room. It's probably a combination of the new room, new teachers, as well as an attachment stage that he's going through. But anyway, most mornings it's a lot of tears and him being a leg anchor before we can finally pry him off us and leave. Well yesterday he did not understand that he was there for his picture only and that daddy wasn't leaving. So matt put him down in front of the camera and screams and tears erupted from him. So no picture plus he was late for the Dr's appt, so nathan missed his normal nap time. But oh well, i think Nathan was just sooo happy to have daddy home again that he wasn't even cranky when he missed his normal nap. He just snuggled with daddy on the couch for a while and he was fine.

We are all on the mend. Matt is recovering from his trip, Nathan's teeth are almost through now, and I still have a sore throat but most of the other sickness is gone. And it's only October. I can't wait to see what kind of shape we will be in in January.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Maybe you don't want to hear from the parents who just looked down and went, Wow a tooth, but I'll trade that experience anyday for a few uninterrupted nights of sleep strung together. Two days ago I was finishing stuff up around the house, I climbed into bed at 12:30. At 12:40 I hear the thump of someone getting out of his bed and then the padpadpadpadpadpadpad of little feet. At least now he doesn't actually cry until he gets into our bedroom to wake us up. So yeah, I'll handle a cranky teething baby anyday.

Alison said...

What do you consider uninterrupted sleep? i can't remember the last time nathan slept till even 6:30 in the morning. Most nights he wakes up around 4 or 4:30 at which point he comes into bed with us. That's what i consider a good night.

I don't know who came up with this phrase "slept like a baby". They must not have had children unless they meant waking up at all hours of the night and crying.