Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nathan's Art Class

I took Nathan to his first art class on Saturday.  The theme is Trash to Treasure.  Nicholas has been going to this place for art classes for a couple of months now.  Nathan's age group meets on Saturday morning and since he's had soccer up until the end of october he didn't get to go the classes.   So this is the first series he's gotten to go to.  I was a little worried becuase it's a drop off class with a teacher he doesn't know.  Also I had a feeling that it was going to be all girls in the class.  (Which it was).  We walked him and he was a little shy.  He said hi to the teacher and then she showed him all the trash and told him he could build whatever he wanted from it as long as it "does" something.  You could just see the wheels turning in his head.  I could barely get him to look at me when I said goodbye.

When I came back to pick him up he had made 5 different inventions and had plans for more.  He wanted to show me all of them (this week we go back to paint them). The smile on his face was huge. I have not seen him so excited in a while.  He immediately asked when he could come back for another class.  I sent next saturday.  Nathan:  How many days until next saturday?  ME: SEven.  Every morning when he gets up he counts down the days until Saturday and his next trash to treasure class.  He's been collecting trash to take along for more projects.  I told him that nicholas had gotten to do a pottery class and maybe in the spring they will offer the pottery class again.  He was soooo excited about that.  He already has all these ideas of things he could make with clay.  I'm so glad he likes to create.

Plus he finally got moved up to the Blue books in reading.  He's been languishing at Green green since last year and if he didn't move up soon his teacher and I were going to have another talk about it.  But he did move up and he's been so excited about it.  He actually read me a whole Frog and Toad book (about 60 pages) the other day.  That is the first time I have gotten him to read anything longer than 7 or 8 pages.  I sure do hope he decides he likes to read after all.

No comments: