Friday, June 08, 2007

Knock on Wood

Wednesday afternoon I went to daycare to pick up the boys. I ran into Nathan's toddler teacher, Ella, who was on vacation for the past week and we got to talking. We were mostly talking about Nicholas (she'll be his teacher when he transitions) and how big he is and how she and his current teacher fight over who he loves more. Somehow we got on the topic of how he doesn't get as sick as his older brother did at that age. And then I said something to the effect of how neither one of them had been sick much in the last year and how nice it was. It was at this point there should have been a thunderclap to stop me from saying that, because I was just ASKING for trouble. I went in to pick up Nicholas and he was fine. He's teething three teeth at the same time so he's a bit cranky but other than that he's fine. We then went over to pick up Nathan who was outside playing. His teacher high tailed it over to talk to me when she saw me. Now I knew something was up because usually she doesn't talk much. I have to go over to her if I want to find out any information. If it was up to her she'd just wave to me and send us on our way. She tells me that at the end of naptime (the nap where nathan normally doesn't nap but just sits on his cot reading stories) Nathan suddenly started crying and telling them that his ear hurt. After that he was pretty inconsolable for a while and refused to eat his snack, until right at the end. He was very clingy but after he ate and drank a little he was better and by the time I picked him up he was acting his good old self playing fishing in the schoolyard.

So now I'm thinking, I'll call the dr tomorrow and try to get him an appointment on Friday but it's not a big deal. We leave and he's fine. Nicholas is exhausted because he took only one- one hour nap all day so he immediately falls asleep. Nathan is ok, quiet, but that's usually how he is in the car. We are about 10 seconds from pulling into our driveway when Nathan starts discharging his snack all over the back of the car. Then he starts screaming, waking up Nicholas who starts screaming. I'm running around the van like a chicken with my head cut off trying to decide which one to get in the house first, and to get Nathan to stop freaking out. (of course this is the one day a week that Matt works late). I call the Dr. and get through to him finally and he says bring him in first thing in the morning before we even open and we'll take a look at his ear.

After that Nathan was fine. He ate his dinner without a problem. When I asked him if his ear hurt he said no, when I asked him if any part of his body hurt he said no. So again, I kid myself into thinking he's fine... maybe ate something bad. I have a laptop that I can do work from home with but not knowing that he may be sick when I left for the day I didn't bring it with me. (I don't know why the teacher didn't call me and tell me at 3PM that he wasn't doing so well and I should be prepared... ugh). So I figured we'd go to the Dr., he'd tell me everything was fine, and send us on our way. No such luck. Nathan has an ear infection. Since he needs to be on antibiotics for 24 hours before I can send him back to school, I had to stay home with both of them. Not a bad thing since I'd rather be with them than at work, except for all the meetings and work I had planned for that day. Actually we had a good day, Nathan was in a good mood and nicholas was cranky but pretty sleepy so he slept for most of the day.

Just remind me NEVER to talk about the kids health and how healthy they have been lately. I was struck down immediately for my impudence.

No comments: