Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Subtle Differences

I spent most of last week at a conference in Texas, mostly trying to sell myself to several different Universities so I can get a job for next year. It seems to have gone pretty well. While I was there, I noticed several subtle differences between Connecticut and Texas.

1. Hours of operation

On the main street through Mystic, most of the businesses are closed by 6:00 PM.

On the main street through Austin, most of the businesses don't open until 6:00 PM.

2. Signage

In Connecticut bars, there are signs reminding the patrons that it is illegal to smoke in bars/restaurants.

In Texas bars, there are signs reminding the patrons that it is illegal to carry an unregistered firearm.

3. Politics, part 1

In Connecticut, the political newcomer making waves is named Ned.

In Texas, the political newcomer making waves is named Kinky.

4. Politics, part 2

In Connecticut, we have stickers on the back of our cars that say "Run Hillary Run!"

In Texas, they put those stickers on the front of their cars.

No comments: