Sunday, August 06, 2006

What a difference 20 degrees can make

My last day of work was Monday. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday Lucy was up to help organize some closets and bring up Nathan's old baby stuff to put in the baby's closet. Guess what else happened T, W and Thursday. That's right... a heat wave. I mean 95 in the shade and with the dewpoint temperatures that feel like 110. HOT!!!!! And me with window units only. I was actually wishing I was back at work. Every part of my body that could swell, did swell. My hands, my arms, my feet, my legs .... everything. And not just a little bit. I barely had any ankles left and my shoes didn't fit anymore. At night I couldn't sleep because both my hands and my feet and even up to my knees were numb. By Wednesday's Dr. appointment I was practically begging her to find something so that we could get the baby out NOW!!! Of course she said everything was fine and 36 weeks was too early. She had sympathy for me but no go. For some reason I went with Matt and Lucy to Uconn to help organize matt's new office. His un air conditioned office. AFter about 2 hours I was done. We left to get lunch and do a little shopping. The funny thing was it was so hot that on the walk to the stores you would get really hot. Then the AC would feel great in the store but after about 5 minutes I was getting hot again. I have a feeling they didn't have the AC all that high do to the brownouts across the state. But anyway, needless to say I took a nap the whole way home and I was wiped for the rest of the day. Thursday night there was a big thunderstorm. Nathan had been playing his drums and one time he actually looked up with the crack of thunder but I just told him it was a really loud drum and he was fine with that and went on playing. He didn't even get freaked out when the power went off... he just had a good time with the flashlight. Friday finally started to feel a little better. I pretty much stayed in my bedroom the entire day in the AC and slept.

Then miracle of miracles, Saturday the high was in the 80's and the humidty dropped. There was a breeze and it was just beautiful outside. All of my joints stopped swelling and I felt like a human being again instead of a swollen tick. Today it was really nice again. We went to the mystic playground and walked along the river where there was a nice breeze and we got to see a bunch of boats. Nathan was very tired by the time we got home and took a 3 hour nap. And I didn't even need a nap today. I just rested and did a little housework. Nice!!! Hopefully I'll get to rest some this week as well.

ONE Last note: All you people out there with birthday's in july, august or september need to go out and thank your mothers right now. They are saints for having you in the heat of summer. This time is sooo much worse than May and June with Nathan. Send flowers and kisses... they deserve it.

No comments: