Friday, June 09, 2006

Like Mother Like Son

When I was in elementary school, I used to get really nervous about going to the first day of school. I'm not exactly sure what my specific worries were but I remember just being really anxious about it. So much so that I would literally make myself sick. There were many a first day back that I would miss because I would have a fever and have to stay home.

Yesterday, Nathan's teacher called me and said he was being excluded from daycare today because he was very clingy and needed almost exclusive one on one care. He was crying and cranky for most of the day AND he had had three bouts of diarhea that day. Luckily Matt is usually working from home on Fridays so it wasn't a big deal to keep him home today. When I went to pick him up they were on the playground. He saw me coming and ran over to the door. He smiled at me and THEN.... went off and started playing. His teacher said, that's the happiest he's been all day. He was running around the playground, getting on the scooters and going all over the place, playing in the sandbox. I actually had to grab him to get him out of there and then he started getting upset because he didn't want to go. His teacher was like "what the heck... this is NOT the way he was acting all day." Last night he was fine. He didn't want to eat dinner but that frequently happens. He was playing independently for a while while we ate and then we were building sofa cushion forts in the living room and he was having a great time. We took a bath and had no troubles at bedtime.

Today would have been his first 5 day week of daycare after having 3 weeks of 4 days weeks in a row. Maybe he just wanted another three day weekend and made himself sick to do it. :) I'm sure that's not really the case... I bet whatever he had just got rid of itself over the course of the day. The teachers said at least 5 other kids were having the same symptoms throughout the day. But in the back of my mind I keep wondering.....

No comments: