Monday, October 17, 2005

Flooding

You know I feel kind of guilty complaining about flooding with all that's happened down south. But let's just say I understand a little bit more since got a tiny bit of a taste.

I don't know how much news got out into the rest of the world but New England experienced quite a bit of rain last week. South eastern CT was doing fine, just fine, up until the wee early hours of Saturday morning. Matt and I both checked our basement (a source of at least two other major floods in years past) on Friday. Friday night it was dry. Saturday morning matt got up to take care of Nathan so I could sleep in. He woke me up around 9AM with news of about 6 inches of water in the basement and flooding in the street. After some trouble shooting it now appears that the two were not related. The hose to the sump pump disconnected sometime during the night which lead to the flooding in the basement. In the street, it appears as though the storm drains backed up. Luckily the water didn't make it to the house from the street. The people across the street weren't so lucky. They were airing their cars out yesterday.

The newspaper Sunday had pictures of some major flooding all around the region. In some places levees broke and the flooding was up to the street signs. So it could have been worse. I can just think of this as a way to clean out the basement I guess.

No comments: