Thursday, March 03, 2005

Good Concert, Poor Respect

Last night we went to the Vance Gilbert and Ellis Paul concert (they actually played together on the stage). They were great. I had heard Vance before and liked him. I had not heard Ellis. I still liked Vance better. They did a great off the cuff riff of Beatles songs. It was hilarious. Anyway, this concert was a benefit concert for the ISAAC arts magnet school in New London. So before the concert they had a group of kids perform for us. It was a rap/ jiggy dance piece. Now the majority of the audience were folkies. At one point Vance asked if anyone had heard him before and a bunch of people yelled out Falcon Ridge... so a rap/ dance piece was not what these people expected. But they were good sports, it was for the kids school afterall. The opening act was Dee Carstenson. Kind of interesting. Her first couple of songs were pretty neat but after that they all sounded pretty much the same. I guess there is only so much you can do with a harp. About 6 or 7 of these 7th and 8th grade kids stayed for the concert. They decided to sit in the front row of all places. Now the concert hall was not at all full.. it was only about halfway full, but everyone was sitting towards the front of the hall. These kids were up and down, in and out of the hall all through the concert. Then they would come down and sit in the front row and start TALKING to each other. AND their PRINCIPAL was sitting in the wings in the front row and she didn't say a WORD to them. Finally Vance had had enough when two girls came down in the middle of his song, sat right in front of him and proceeded to hold a conversation. He changed his next verse of the song to say something to the effect of " Oh no, you did NOT just come and sit right in front of me and start talking." He kept going and embarressed the heck out of them. But did that stop them. Not one bit. The kids were still in and out the whole time. I just could not believe how rude they were. And the principal did nothing about it. I saw no parents present at all so I'm assuming the principal and other teachers were in charge. Now this is a magnet school so they do not get state funds. They have to raise their own money hence the benefit concert. But these kids behaviour and the lack of authority by the principal and other teachers in the audience made me not want to give them any more money. Part of education is teaching respect or at least trying to so they can become functioning members of society. This concert just did not leave a good impression of the school or the way it's run. The principal gave a little speech before the concert thanking everyone for coming. She said the 8th graders were going to see Rent this weekend (at the same concert hall) as well as Carmen later in the month. I sure do hope they behave better at these events. I'm sure these will be sold out events and people who paid upwards of $70-80/ticket are not going to be pleased if a bunch of kids are in and out of the theater and disrupting their experience.

Anyway, Nathan did well with his babysitters. They kept him up too late but he was so exhausted they said it was easy to put him to sleep. I think the babysitters had more fun with Nathan's toys than he does. :) Part of the reason he could stay up so late without being too cranky was because at daycare he took two LONG naps. The first one was an hour and a half long. For the second they put him down at 2 and he was still sleeping when I went to pick him up at 4:15. He slept right through his 3:30 bottle. They tried the just putting him down and standing next to his crib thing as well. It only took about 5-10 minutes of standing there before he went to sleep for them. YEAH!!! So I don't know if it's just the self soothing thing that's letting him sleep longer or if he's going through a growth spurt. Who knows, but he was in such a good mood when we got home from daycare, it was really tough to leave him. Hopefully he will be in a good mood all day for daddy as well. I'm sure he will be.

Maybe daddy will post a new picture today. Hint hint nudge nudge. Have a great day everyone

No comments: