Thursday, March 25, 2010

Facts of Life

Today in the car to pick up Nicholas from preschool, Nathan and I had the following conversation.

N: When are we going to get another baby?
Me: We aren't.
N: Why not?
Me: Because mommy and daddy decided that 4 was the perfect number for our family.
N: Oh.....
Me: Why do you want another baby? (thinking to myself about the knock down drag out fight over the rocker chair this morning between the brothers)
N: Because I want to name it.
Me: Oh... what would you name it?
N: I'm don't know. When it comes out of your belly I would name it.
Me: Ok... but we aren't going to have any more babies.
Pause.....

N: Mommy... how do you make a baby?
Me: (Knowing this was coming) Well... mommy has a seed and daddy has a seed and when the two seeds come together they plant in mommy's belly and make a baby.
N: Oh... are these the kind of seeds we eat?
Me: No... they are just baby making seeds.

Pause.... By this time I'm pulling up to nicholas' preschool.

N: I'm glad I'll never be a mommy.

In Context: Prior to this conversation, Nathan has been on this kick about wanting to be a daddy when he grows up. Nicholas ever the younger brother has to contradict him and say that he wants to be a mommy. This of course starts an argument between the two of them about how nicholas' can't be a mommy because he's a boy, so he'll be a daddy too. I guess our conversation in the car just gave Nathan more proof that he's glad he'll be the daddy and not the mommy.

No comments: