To fill our time we have gone to the library a few times. The first time the boys were CRAZY! They had a hard time listening and they were trying to run around but I caught them and gave them a good scolding. The second time I gave them many warnings and DO NOT's before we went in and they did fine.
On Tuesday we went to the storytime at the library for the first time. It was for the 3-5 year olds. They had a couple of stories, some songs and a craft. The boys had a good time doing that although they were a little shy about the songs but that's ok. Then we went looking for books. Nathan had said he wanted books on penguins so we looked it up in the card catalog and got some fiction and nonfiction books. By this time we had been in the library about 50 minutes. I told them it was time to go home. I put Nicholas' coat on and turned around to put on Nathan's. He had run to the front of the children's library (on the other side of the room) and was at the door to the main library. I was watching him and trying to get his attention to come back to me. The next thing I know I see Nicholas' walking past me with his coat OFF! I told them both to get back here and put their coats on. Well Nicholas made a run for it into the main library, and I guess Nathan thought, if he's doing it, I may as well go for it to. So now I had to spring across the children's library to get to them and they had already run through the stacks giggling their fool heads off. By the time I got out there the librarians (with whom I have not had a good relationship already...They'd already proven to be cranky and non helpful), were looking quite pissed off and looking for the horrible mother who can't control her children.
The stacks are quite high and my children are quite short. I found nicholas because of the giggling and grabbed him and carried him as I searched for Nathan. I just caught a glimpse of this running child as he ran around the aisles and I finally caught up with him as he was headed towards the outside door. OH BOY!!!! Did they get it. I made them go back to the childrens area and put back all the books they had wanted themselves. I made them apologize to the librarian. I put them in the car and yelled and lectured them the whole way home about how disappointed I was in them and took away computer and TV for the rest of the day. They had to sit on time out when they got home. Both boys were pretty scared. I could tell because they were quiet.. and they are never quiet. During the ride home I told Nathan that I expected more from him because he's the big boy and he should know better. He should stop his little brother from doing things that he's not supposed to do and not just join in with him. And then I started lecturing Nicholas ... but Nathan pipes up "But we have to do things together because he's my best friend." Okay that was cute.... but not cute enough.
It was not a happy household yesterday. I'm still not sure if we can show our faces in the library again. I know they were just excited to be out of the house. I know that they just had too much energy and not enough space to run around and let it out. But man oh man was I angry!
I honestly don't know where they get their energy from and sometimes I'm so jealous of mother's who have easy going girls who just SIT for more than 5 minutes at time. But then they look at me with those big eyes and give me big hugs and I guess I forgive them for driving me crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment