When I was a senior in college, I was debating if I should go to grad school or out to work. I had already worked for a year in a polymer chemistry lab and I decided I needed to work in a biochem lab as well to really try to feel out which I liked better. I talked to our Biochem professor at the time, Dr. Brown. He had been a really hard professor but when I talked to him he was a really great guy. He gave me a position in his lab for my senior year. I earned my research honors from his lab and presented on the work I did there at a symposium. He was always very helpful and there to answer my questions (personal or scientific) even though he was the head of the department. When I applied for my current position, Dr. Brown gave me a recommendation.
Dr. Brown passed away on Sunday night. The MCS community will miss him. i haven't seen or spoken to him in years but I will miss him. He helped to shape my career, for which I will forever be grateful. I'm sure there are hundreds or even thousands of students who can say the same thing. I hope his family can take comfort in knowing that he had been such a profound influence on many people.
http://www.cmu.edu/news/archive/2007/July/july17_brown.shtml
1 comment:
I had Dr. Brown (or "Bill" as I was allowed to call him once I started working at Carnegie Mellon) for Modern Bio ages ago. I was no bio star, but I learned a lot. And he was just an all-around great guy. He served on tons of committees on campus and was once part of a faculty/student band I had to put together for an Annual Giving thing.
He will be greatly missed.
(Coincidentally, I actually posted that release you linked to.)
Post a Comment