Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Molding Young Minds

My summer student starts today. I met her in the atrium this morning. We talked for a bit. I tried to tell her a bit about the project and I could just see her eyes glazing over. This project is very theory based and it's tough stuff to take in at 7:45 in the morning. I don't blame her. She seems so young. Just finished her second year at Pitt. She's in the ChemE department. Our department doesn't really do ChemE stuff but maybe after this she'll change her mind. The placement of kids seems so random. I didn't do the screening but her major and resume seem kind of random to be placed in our group. There was a girl from CMU who had applied but contacted me to late for me to do anything about getting her a spot. Her resume was more suited to our work. It seems so random that this girl got picked and the other one didn't. When I applied for summer internships at Big pharma I didn't get any. I guess knowing now how random the placement is I don't feel so bad. I thought at the time that there were so many other people out there that had better qualifications than I did. But really it almost seems like luck of the draw. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure she'll do well. She seems intelligent and she's looking forward to this summer. It's just that her background seems random for this position. Oh well. It's my bias against ChemE's coming out I guess. I'm also biased because they are giving her a laptop. I don't even have a laptop. Poor me.

Nathan is walking all over the place. He's also started giving the cats and the dogs hugs now. Morgan is tolerating Nathan throwing himself on him but only if I'm petting him as well. Polly is actually tolerating it as well, better than I thought. Susie got her first hug yesterday. She did well... she just stood there. Granted I was standing right there in case she got upset but she knew he was there and just kind of stood there for it. Then she ran away.

Have a great day. Hopefully the sun is shining where you are.

No comments: